[e2e] low latency multicast trees

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at cs.colorado.edu
Wed Aug 1 06:20:28 PDT 2007

Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> nowadays we're starting to see soem serious multicast action out there in them thar woods,
> so maybe its time to re-visit low latency trees (I know most the stuff is IPTV and single
> source/streamed, but someone is gonna wanna do games any day now)
> --

I'm assuming you're referring to intra-AS multicast? My impression was
that inter-AS multicast wasn't done because (largely) there's no revenue
model for it.

I was also under the impression that most companies providing TV
services were either using PON to duplicate & distribute the bulk of it,
or, when using IP layer multicast, carefully engineering the
provisioning network (as in the UTOPIA network -
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel5/35/32917/01541706.pdf
)

Are companies really trying to distribute IPTV over the broader internet?