[e2e] opening multiple TCP connections getting popular

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Aug 31 08:20:43 PDT 2007

rick jones wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2007, at 5:33 AM, David P. Reed wrote:
>
>> It's fascinating to me that Window Scaling (an end-to-end option)
>> would be screwed by bugs in *routers*.
>
> If my experience interacting with end users in netnews is
> representative, these "routers" are likely as not the
> NAT/firewall/switch boxes like the one sitting between me and my DSL
> line at the moment.  They get branded with the term "router" all the
> time.

Indeed, it may well be that.  Nonetheless my points hold true.   Also
about the "Sirens" including major router vendors.

I still recall my face-to-face interaction many years ago on a panel
with Sr. Cisco marketing VP who was claiming that NAT was an Internet
Standard when NAT boxes were coming out.   I told her that it was *not*,
that Internet Standards were very few, and that NAT was an RFC because
it was considered as an option to the IPv6 choice, and was a *discarded*
option, with known limitations.

She essentially flamed me back, said that Cisco defined the Internet,
and I didn't know what I was talking about, and anyway "NAT" was a Good
Thing.