[e2e] end to end arguments in systems design -> checksums in bundle protocol

Kevin Fall kfall at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 8 21:05:10 PST 2007

Well, I guess I should respond to the message from Lloyd regarding
checksums in the bundle protocol (DTNRG).  As is not uncommon, I
believe he totally misrepresents what happened, for reasons I do not
(care to) know.  The checksum was deliberately omitted.  Here is why
(see www.dtnrg.org if you desire more background):

1. many of the environments we have discussed intend to run the
bundle protocol atop other protocols that already have checksums
2. there is a desire among some of the researchers to utilize object-
level reliability and security; requiring a checksum at the bundle
layer would be redundant
3. there is a security protocol (described separately) that provides
greater reliability than any simple checksum [yes, I do realize
various types of checksums or CRC-like codes can be used]
4. there is an extensibility mechanism in the bundle protocol, much
like IPv6 extension headers.  If, remarkably, it is decided to put
one in the BP, it is a very simple matter
5. the BP is not necessarily a 'transport' protocol with transport
functionality in the Internet stack sense.  There are discussions
regarding presentation-layer-like functionality
(indeed one might conceivably think of BP as a session protocol,
although we don't adopt "layerism" as any fundamental tenet)

I could go on, but those are the main reasons.

- K