[e2e] Delays / service times / delivery times in wireless networks.

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Feb 21 03:07:16 PST 2007

András Veres (IJ/ETH) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The 10 minutes reference in GPRS never happens in reality. It is similar to RFC 793 where an upper limit of TTL = one minute is set for TCP packets. Neither 1 nor 10 minutes actually happen in real networks.

O.k.
Do 9 minutes 59 seconds ever happen? ;-)

WRT David: You´re perfectly right that ETSI has nothing to do with IETF.
Similar to the IEEE (industry standards) and similar to
DigitalIntelXerox. However, TCP/IP sometimes runs on real networks and
therefore must use network technologies, e.g. IEEE 802.3 / Ethernet VII
AKA DIX or GPRS (and therefore about 50 or 100 ETSI standards ) ;-)

Back to the subject. The GPRS standard specifies certain quantiles, a
0.5 quantile and a 0.9 quantile for delays.
Perfect.

But in my opinion, this is not sufficient for a scientific discussion of
the suitability of mobile networks for end to end protocols _AND_
applications.

Now, there is a huge amount of papers (I don´t even listen examples,
there are literally hundreds of them, even in proceedings of highly
visible IEEE or ACM conferences) which deal with
- delay spikes
- spurious timeouts
- large Bandwidth Delay Products
- adverse effects on TCP caused by proportional fair scheduling
etc. in mobile networks.

In fact, the whole discussion "is there a problem with TCP in mobile
networks" deals exactly with these issues.

So, my question is in other words: Are these issues substantiated? Or do
we hunt phantoms here?

And because I´m interested in finding an answer to this question, I´m
interested to understand, where delay in mobile networks come from ;-)