[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 17:49:53 PST 2007

Greetings,

On 02/01/07, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> Detlef Bosau wrote:
> > Round    CWND
> >    1              2
> >    2              4
> >    3              8
>
> It doesn't double each RTT; it goes up by 50%. Remember, the window
> grows by one MSS each ACK during the initial phase, but there is one ACK
> for each two MSS's.

If you have ABC (as recent Linux senders do by default), or don't use
delayed ACKs (as Linux receivers don't when the window is small),
Detlef was right that it doubles each RTT.

$0.02
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA