[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Sun Jan 7 05:24:20 PST 2007

Joe Touch writes:
> FYI,Internet MSS's are usually in the 500-byte range in general. A
> 5KB file would take 10 packets and be over by the 4th round.

Um, the Internet MSS is usually 1460 bytes, except where it is hacked
to between 1300 and 1400 bytes to avoid issues with broken Path MTU
Detection in the presence of links with an MTU slightly smaller than
1500 (mostly ADSL links).

Packets around 500 bytes have become quite rare on the Internet today.
--
Simon.