[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Sun Jan 7 13:50:11 PST 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Lynne Jolitz wrote:

> But that would require people to reach out to others, put skin in the
> game, and take a risk. It requires trust and mutual respect. It's much
> easier to complain and expect someone else to do the work. And it's much
> easier to ignore complaints because there is too much work to do
> already.

> And that's why the marketplace is the default. It's not the best
> solution, but it is a solution.

Lynne - I think you meant "commercial" vs "community", not "market"
vs "collective".  The oft-repeated notion that there's anything superior
to market is complete nonsense.

Market is *any* kind of voluntary exchange and cooperation.  That
includes contributing resources and labor in order to gain social status,
reputation, or sense of belonging to a community.  Not all goods are
material, and not all exchanges in a marketplace are intermediated with
money (or can be priced).  There's really no boundary between "for-profit"
and "non-profit"  activities, and in the real-life commerce every activity
includes both - one gains not only profit, but also reputation,
recognition and such.

Everything else (i.e. tax-funded projects, work required by law, etc) is
fundamentally involuntary and cannot exist without threats of violence
towards non-cooperators or simply those who disagree.

This reduction to fundamentals not only shows that the market is the best
solution; it clearly shows that it is the only possible ethical solution.

Sorry for the off-topic.

--vadim