[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jan 8 02:18:29 PST 2007

Vadim Antonov wrote:

> I guess in the end the network will be designed properly - i.e. resistant
> to any kind of behavior from the end hosts (including malicious). It is

And when will this be?

When will this trial and error phase come to an end? Apparently, you
have all time of the world.

> not that hard to achieve.  The best-effort delivery with no fairness
> enforcement by the network itself is asking for trouble, and I'm suprised
> that it still persists.

You probably want to read the congavoid paper or RFC 2581.

You will learn from that, that fairness enforcement _does_ exist.

> If the network is enforcing fairness, there is nothing a misbehaving host
> (or millions of misbehaving hosts) could do to degrade performance as seen
> by other users (except as a part of coordinated DDoS attack on a

I appreciate that you name even one problem yourself.
> specific target).
>
> How hard it is to turn the Fair Queueing knob to "on" on the gateways?
>

> So, why exactly should we care?

I don´t know, why "we" should care. But I frankly tell you, what you
should care fore.
First of all, you most probably want to care for a good text book on
networking because what you write on this topic simply makes my hair
stands on end.
The second is a personal advice I tried to give you already yesterday.
Perhaps you should reconsider your opinons from time to time based upon
your personal life experience. Times are changing and so are opinions.
It is always a good idea to put some kind of low pass filter on opinions
and to avoid both, extreme positions and simple answers to complex
questions.

Finally, and I really think so, we should politics out of this list.

When we had birthday parties in our familiy or similar occasions, I was
always given a strong advice by my father concerning topics of discussion:
" NO sports, NO politics, NO religion."
You can talk about anything but these.

Believe me: My father was perfectly right.

And for this list: You´re welcome to contribute to the discussion of end
to end issues.

I apologize for posting on this issue again. Please, Lynne, Vadim, let
us return to the subject of this list again. Not only for the benefit of
ourselves but for the benefits of all the other readers. Particularly
the thread on sliding window is an interesting one and I learned a lot
from it. Perhaps, others find it interesting as well, at least there are
far too many contributions for a boring thread. It would be a pity if
people would leave thr thread or even the list because of continous off
topic posts on politics and similar issues.

Thanks.

Detlef