[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

sisalem@fokus.fraunhofer.de sisalem at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jan 8 06:41:39 PST 2007

Hello,
>> not that hard to achieve.  The best-effort delivery with no fairness
>> enforcement by the network itself is asking for trouble, and I'm suprised
>> that it still persists.
>>
> You probably want to read the congavoid paper or RFC 2581.

> You will learn from that, that fairness enforcement _does_ exist.
just a short remark: I would assume that the definition of fairness
here is that two TCP connections with the same RTT and packet size
would receive the same bandwidth share.
Hence, fairness enforcement is only partially done. Two
TCP sessions with different congestion avoidance schemes (e.g., one
with SACK and another one with Reno) will not achieve the same
bandwidth share under the same RTT conditions (whether this is to be
considered unfair though is another issue which has more to do with
philosophy). And a UDP flow is not interested in fairness at all as
well.

regarding the input about enforcing fairness in the network. I think
that the painful experience ATM and ABR taught us already, that
network based fairness enforcement schemes are theoretically great but
practically too complex to be of practical use

cheers

--
Best regards,
 Dorgham                            mailto:sisalem at iptel.org