[e2e] why fair sharing? ( Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?)

John Wroclawski jtw at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 12 16:15:07 PST 2007

At 4:54 PM -0600 1/12/07, Sergey Gorinsky wrote:
>   Vadim,
>
>>  How hard it is to turn the Fair Queueing knob to "on" on the gateways?
>
>   To put my 2 kopecks in... First, since an application can masquerade as
>multiple flows, fairness enforcement with FQ is not effective. To lend
>itself to meaningful enforcement, fairness should be defined not in terms
>of flows or even hosts/processes generating them. Instead, fairness
>should be linked to humans behind the communications but this requires
>a very different network architecture.

Along these lines folks might want to read Bob Briscoe's internet
draft "Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion", Bob Briscoe (BT),
IETF Internet-Draft <draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.pdf>, can be found
in many formats at
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/bbriscoe/pubs.html#rateFairDis

john