[e2e] why fair sharing? ( Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?)

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Fri Jan 12 17:57:46 PST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, John Wroclawski wrote:

> Along these lines folks might want to read Bob Briscoe's internet
> draft "Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion", Bob Briscoe (BT),
> IETF Internet-Draft <draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.pdf>, can be found
> in many formats at
> http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/bbriscoe/pubs.html#rateFairDis

Pretty much my point all along.

I have one issue with the paper, though -- they advocate fairness based on
"the costs, not benefits".  That shows that they didn't really thought
about economics. The real-life enterprises (such as ISPs) maximise profit,
so they are interested in giving most profitable customers a bigger share
and penalize less profitable customers - thus creating incentive to pay
more for the better performance.

The cost-based allocation does not work economically, as it encourages
incurring higher costs in order to obtain higher benefits.

--vadim