[e2e] A simple scenario. (Basically the reason for the sliding window thread ; -))

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 18 10:00:01 PST 2007

David Borman wrote:
> There are real-world scenarios where the insertion of a splitter into a
> TCP path does make a lot of sense.  The cases I am familiar with all are
> necessitated by a severe mismatch in MTU, buffering and performance,

Taking each individually:

Mismatched MTU - sounds like a PMTU issue, otherwise you're
hyper-optimizing IP overheads in ways that the Internet protocols are
not designed to support. If you have a broken PMTU situation, using a
splitter to 'patch' the situation is fixing one broken system with
another, IMO.

Buffing problems could as easily be solved by non-splitter PEPs that
buffer and retransmit, acting like a two-port router. The same is true
for many performance problems.

I don't agree that either makes sense, although I appreciate the desire
for the first case where there are no alternatives., but only as a patch.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment