[e2e] A simple scenario. (Basically the reason for the sliding window thread ; -))

David Borman david.borman at windriver.com
Thu Jan 18 08:46:58 PST 2007

There are real-world scenarios where the insertion of a splitter into
a TCP path does make a lot of sense.  The cases I am familiar with
all are necessitated by a severe mismatch in MTU, buffering and
performance, the splitter is in the only path by which the packets
can travel, and it is sitting at the crossover between the two
disparate paths.  In the specific case that I dealt with, the
splitter's main purpose was to change the TCP MSS option, send larger
window sizes, and buffer/repackage data.

Getting the splitter to operate well takes some work.  It has to
maintain state for the connections in both directions.  Besides
acking and buffering data in both directions, and possibly
repackaging data between the two sides, it also has to make sure that
it synchronizes control events between the two halves so that neither
endpoint gets into a state of believing that the connection has
completed successfully when it hasn't.  And there will still be
failure modes that you wouldn't get with a straight TCP connection,
but most of them are when the connection doesn't complete successfully.

But in general, deploying a splitter where there is a possibility
that packets can take an alternate route around the splitter, or
where you do not have some degree of control over one side of the
network seems like a bad idea to me.  A splitter should not be a
general purpose device, it should be tied to the unique
bandwidth*delay mismatch of the problem that is being addressed.

A TCP splitter that is *not* a NAT box operates at the TCP layer, and
should not require any changes to the content of the TCP data stream,
whereas an application level proxy often requires that the proxy has
knowledge of the particular application, and may have to modify the
data stream.

			-David Borman