[e2e] Stupid Question: Why are missing ACKs not considered as indicator for congestion?

Sushant Rewaskar rewaskar at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 31 13:02:41 PST 2007

Hi,
I agree with Lachlan. In TCP there is no way to know when an ack is lost as
it carries no "sequence number" of its own. (so in fact not only it is not
done but it cannot be easily done in the current set-up).

To get a better understanding of these issues you may want to read the
string of papers and RFC on Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP)
(http://www.read.cs.ucla.edu/dccp/ )

Take care,
Sushant Rewaskar
UNC Chapel Hill