[e2e] Stupid Question: Why are missing ACKs not considered as indicator for congestion?

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 14:41:00 PST 2007

At Wednesday 31/01/2007 16:02 -0500, Sushant Rewaskar wrote:
>Hi,
>I agree with Lachlan. In TCP there is no way to know when an ack is lost as
>it carries no "sequence number" of its own.

It can - timestamps are used for disambiguation, and they disambiguate the acks. They can act as unique sequence numbers.

(In fact, you wouldn't naively issue a timestamp, and expect the other end to copy and reflect it in an ack, as that's open to a variety of DoS attacks. The sender would have a table of timestamp times, with unique keys for each timestamp, and the sender would send out and look for the key in the timestamp option field. To get a better understanding of these issues you may want to read RFC1323.)

It's possible for the sender to infer that an ack has been lost, based on subsequent receiver behaviour in sending a cumulative ack including packets received that the sender didn't get individual acks for.

Stupid question: why is a missing ack presumed to automatically be due to congestion, rather than link errors along the path?

L.