[e2e] Packet dropping (Khaled Elsayed)

Agarwal, Anil Anil.Agarwal at viasat.com
Thu May 3 08:43:10 PDT 2007

David reed wrote:

> Actually, TCP typically retransmits all the "out of order" packets you
refer to Arjuna,
> because the sender won't know the receiver has received
> them unless SACK is working, an option that is not necessarily there.

> So the receiver can just drop all the out of order packets after a
loss due to
> congestion without affecting throughput.

This is not quite true (perhaps this is a simplified explanation),
since the sender, after a timeout will proceed to do slow start,
starting with cwnd = 1 segment. If the receiver has buffered segments
received after
the lost packet in question, it will ack all segments after the lost
segment retransmission
is received; the other segments will not be retransmitted.

Similarly, a fast retransmit (without SACK) will cause the lost segment
to be retransmitted.
If the retransmission succeeds, then no other segments will be
retransmitted, if the receiver
has buffered other segments. Also, slow-start will not be triggered.

Hence, it helps to buffer out-of-sequence receive segments.

Anil