[e2e] Collaboration on Future Internet Architectures

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 4 00:49:59 PDT 2007

aside from using mobility (as per grossglauser/tse), see:
A. Ozgur, O. Leveque and D. Tse, "Hierarchical Cooperation Achieves Optimal
Capacity Scaling in Ad Hoc Networks",  submitted to the IEEE Transactions on
Information Theory, Sept. 2006 (Revised Feb. 2007).
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dtse/pub.html
for an example of a scheme which might work

main problems with cooperation techniques is achieving them in practice may not
be do-able (it reminds me of quantum computing in this regard, full of promises,
but possibly impossible:)

In missive <70C6EFCDFC8AAD418EF7063CD132D064046A8DD5 at WIN-MSG-21.wingroup.windeploy.ntdev.m
icrosoft.com>, Christian Huitema typed:

 >>> 1/ some people have claimed that one can build many-to-many multihop
 >>> radio
 >>> systems that offer more capacity as the number of nodes join.=20
 >>
 >>Some have claimed it, but it is far from being proved. The number of
 >>hops tend to increase with the number of nodes -- typically scaling as
 >>the square root of that number if the nodes are arranged in a plane. The
 >>available bandwidth per node tends thus to decrease with the number of
 >>nodes.
 >>
 >>-- Christian Huitema

 cheers

   jon