[e2e] It's all my fault

Harald Koch chk at pobox.com
Tue May 15 05:33:55 PDT 2007

Vadim Antonov wrote:
> I never ever in my long career as a backbone engineer had any legitimate
> need to use SR options.

The LSRR option to traceroute was incredibly useful for debugging
routing problems during CA*net's transition from the NSFnet to MCI back
in 1994 (we were one of the first NSFnet "regionals" to leave, if I
recall correctly). Of course, I only had a short career as a backbone
engineer before leaping into network security, where I saw first-hand
the "fun" that one could have with those same LSRR options.

I straddle the fence on this one. Like so many other things in life,
source routing is a tool that can be used for Good or Evil...

--
Harald Koch
chk at pobox.com