[e2e] It's all my fault

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 15 06:22:29 PDT 2007

if we took ALL routing out of routers, life _would_ be simpler -

you'd only have yourself to blame as an end user
for shooting your self in the head when you can't reach somewere

running path computation on boxed _designed_ to do computation
and forwarding on boxeds designed to switch packets fast
just sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea to me

of course it would disempower a bunch of hardnosed "gurus" in
ISPs and router vendors, which is why they complain so much about every time
it when its  discussed...

given we havnt actually tried this approach (at the level where end users have access to it)
since the old token/proteon ring and IBM stuff, I think claims about its
legitimacy or otherwise are moot

as you say, for debugging, it has been quite useful in the past to some people
within the service...

In missive <4649A8B3.7080000 at pobox.com>, Harald Koch typed:

 >>Vadim Antonov wrote:
 >>> I never ever in my long career as a backbone engineer had any legitimate
 >>> need to use SR options.
 >>
 >>The LSRR option to traceroute was incredibly useful for debugging
 >>routing problems during CA*net's transition from the NSFnet to MCI back
 >>in 1994 (we were one of the first NSFnet "regionals" to leave, if I
 >>recall correctly). Of course, I only had a short career as a backbone
 >>engineer before leaping into network security, where I saw first-hand
 >>the "fun" that one could have with those same LSRR options.
 >>
 >>I straddle the fence on this one. Like so many other things in life,
 >>source routing is a tool that can be used for Good or Evil...

you know without those pesker users asking for IP adresses
and routes and the ability to send data to each other
the internet would be a whole lot Gooder
and google would clearly do no Evil provably.

just one big control plane, and no messin

 cheers

   jon