[e2e] It's all my fault

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue May 15 06:48:58 PDT 2007

Randy Bush wrote:

> btw, i am not against source routing.  but i am strongly for reality based
> discussion.  on that line, do folk have more minimal proposals for plugging
> the rthdr0 hole?

Can we characterize the "hole" and the range of its impact (i.e. like
any bug report, let's have an honest attempt to decide how important it
is in the scheme of things).   I doubt that the language is proper:  I
use  "hole" in quotes because it's not a security hole anymore than the
ability to send a packet to an arbitrary destination (the *core*
function of IP) is a hole - if that packet triggers a vulnerability in
that destination, it's not the addressability that is the hole...  IP as
a layer provides no guarantees that packets may not appear at the wrong
place sometimes, or be delayed or duplicated (meaning that packets must
be accepted with care, whereever they arrive!)

So if RTHDR0 is a "hole" it is a hole in the so-called "firewall
security model".  But that security model has been thoroughly
discredited as a mechanism for providing security against system
vulnerabilities by years of experience. (IMO).   The firewall security
model is described by the first book about it (Bellovin and Cheswick) as
something that helps one deal with systems that were not properly
secured in the first place (in those days it was Unix boxes with wide
open unsecured services like NFS).   A "hole" in Swiss cheese is redundant.

We have known for years how to do reliable authentication with various
protocols based in cryptographic signature and limited-life keys.   In
fact, some of those ideas are well articulated in IPv6 by some darned
thoughtful people.   So if there are vulnerabilities exposed by the
ability to route in a particular way, the long-term sensible solution is
not to limit routing, but to use a standardized solution: proper
authentication of those commands and requests that are not properly
authenticated today.

The biggest network layer hole today is the *dependency* on undebuggable
address rewriting rules implemented by aggressive middleboxes that have
been extended beyond their usefulness to actually be crucially part of a
topological security model.   The idea that a hotel can prevent botnets
from operating by blocking magical port numbers or acting as a
man-in-the-middle by pretending (as most do) that their port 25 server
is at the IP address of my email server (this should be illegal
wirefraud, if I had Jon Gilmore's cash, I would bring a case...).   Note
that I said *dependency* (as in addiction) above.   The rewriting can be
detected and prevented by end-to-end authentication.   But what is
problematic is how much of the Internet (and how much of the security
community) has entered into the false belief state that firewalls are
the core of Internet security.

In fact, the Internet was designed at a time when it was already clear
that an *Inter*-net would be of such a scope that one *could not* expect
the network to provide security for the endpoints.   Steve Kent and
others worked hard (though NSA barred them from participating in the
Internet project per se) to develop end-to-end security approaches that
recognized the point that the catenet transport layer of the Internet
was not the place to embed security - for the basic reason outlined in
the "end to end argument" - security is inherently a concern of the
endpoints among the endpoints - not something that a transport layer can
even fully comprehend.

Thus, in answer to your question - for any particular class of attacks
that might be amplified by routing capabilities, one first should look
to fix the actual vulnerabilities at the application or network
management layer where those attacks manifest themselves.

Some of those vulnerabilities remain despite known fixes.   My bete noir
is the arpspoofing and DHCP attacks that are based on protocols that
should NEVER have been designed the way they are, without security.
And in both cases, security mechanisms are known and available, but not
deployed - instead the discredited "firewall" idea continues to patch
around them, and then people get burnt by them in new places - i.e.
Airport WiFi hotspots...