[e2e] It's all my fault

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Tue May 15 14:21:35 PDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, David P. Reed wrote:

> If your view is that the Internet is designed to make 10G adapters run
> fast, or that IP headers should be used within AS's as native
> fiber-switch routing data instead of wrapping them with layer 2 headers
> as any sensible designer would, you would be right.

In my view Internet should be designed to be a) fast, b) reliable and c)
cheap.  The extra crud in the protocols makes achieving these goals harder
than it could be.

> God did not say that IP was the layer 2 routing protocol.   In fact, the
> Internet was designed to join *heterogeneous* networks at layer 3.
> Lunatic microoptimizers have decided that they ought to try to eliminate
> diversity and heterogeneity in the Internet.

See much diversity and heterogenity in the IP protocol?  See much
diversity and heterogenity in the Ethernet frames? 0800-45, heh.

The lesson seems to be that simple technologies survive and prosper while
over-engineeried everything-and-a-kitchen-sink designs like OSI fail.

BTW, I didn't say anything about L2 framing. What I said is that ARP is an
unnecessary complication, one more thing which can fail, can be attacked,
and which introduces complexity into equipment and software (and *that*
complexity costs real money).  There's nothing God-given about that.
You're skewering a straw man.

--vadim