[e2e] Time for a new Internet Protocol

Joe Provo end2end at rsuc.gweep.net
Tue May 15 17:18:57 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 10:57:24AM -0400, David P. Reed wrote:
[snip]
> Therefore, it is time to do what is possible: construct a new overlay
> network that exploits the IP network just as the IP network exploited
> its predecessors the ARPANET and ATT's longhaul dedicated links and new
> technologies such as LANs.
>
> I call for others to join me in constructing the next Internet, not as
> an extension of the current Internet, because that Internet is corrupted
> by people who do not value innovation, connectivity, and the ability to
> absorb new ideas from the user community.

You are confusing commoditization with corruption. While disheartening,
the dollars to make the Internet go have to sustainably come from
somewhere.  Overlay networks exist; many modern Internet applications,
some of which you cite, create networks at that layer.  Many 'normal'
applications are also driven over all sorts of encapsulations and
tunnels as needed to acheive the goals of the end users.

Assume the commoditized Internet is your foundation and move up the
stack. Painting the efforts as combative is a waste of energy.

While I still sting over the 'september that never ended', I have
no faith that we would have come as far as we have without the
commoditization drive.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE