[e2e] Time for a new Internet Protocol

dirk.trossen@bt.com dirk.trossen at bt.com
Wed May 16 02:25:31 PDT 2007

[RESENT - this time without signature - my apologies, still had to find
the off-by-default setting]

David,

I wonder if such almost revolutionary tone is both helpful and effective
in reaching the goal (or anything for that matter) you're promoting.

Not only do I believe (more hope) that the intention back then, when
constructing IP, TCP, UDP, ..., was not 'to beat Mother Bell's control
ambitions' but to truly enable end user innovation (driven by the true
belief that this would benefit everybody), I would also argue that times
do have changed since then. Change of fundamentals in the Internet is
today more of an educational process than ever. It might be driven by
technology, certainly not only though, but it certainly includes more
than ever proper education beyond the pure technology community and the
consideration for the concerns of everybody involved. It isn't a
technology exercise anymore within a governmentally funded research
community that, over the course of some twenty years, will then turn
into a fundamental piece of societial life. It IS part of the societal
life. So advocating changes needs to take into account the different
concerns, also the ones of the 'routerheads' and the 'control freaks',
if you will, in order to be successful.

So it is not the goal that I'm questioning (you know how much I
subscribe to end user driven innovation), it is your, to me, ineffective
and confrontational method that I fear will turn out to be wasteful
rather than fruitful. What the technology community CAN provide is the
ammunition for this educational process, the proof that end user
innovation is indeed enabled, for the good of everybody involved (and
point our alternatives for the ones that seemingly will need to change).

BTW, as you know I recently have joined a company you might characterize
as being on the 'controlling end' of the spectrum, coming from an end
user type of company. But believe me that I would have not joined if I
didn't believe such education is possible. It isn't all black and white
(us - whoever that is - against them).

Dirk