[e2e] Time for a new Internet Protocol

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri May 18 07:24:05 PDT 2007

Dirk - I have been thinking about this.

The point of the Internet was to achieve a network of networks, which
seemed pleasantly obvious to anyone who had studied digital systems at
the time since bits were bits and messages were messages.   You are
right that it wasn't to "beat Ma Bell" - but it also was the case that
Ma Bell was not interested in solving the many problems. ATT was asked,
but it could not be interested in serving an unproven need, one that was
seen only by a few crazy people like Licklider, Englebart, Taylor, etc.
as important - I really recommend reading The Computer as a
Communications Device to put yourself in those times.   I remember my
Professor Joel Moses once asking me why we were wasting time on the
Internet, when all you needed to access any remote computer was a dialup
modem, and once AT&T delivered faster connections to homes (I think the
expectation was to use microwaves at the time) everyone would be able to
call up any time sharing system they wanted.

LANs of small computers were viewed as insanely wasteful ways to
engineer systems - what you wanted was a big "computer utility".
Grosch's Law was the law of the land - the bigger the computer, the more
efficient the system.

Today IMHO, I see that pattern playing out again.   The idea that the
"backbone is the Internet" is historically wrong - the IP Internet is
the whole damn thing that consists mostly of LANs and a little backbone
glue.

It's really nice that some of the carriers get the value of offering
first class Internet transport (IP layer) services, and additional
services that enhance that transport.

But most carriers and service providers are indeed viewing that as the
place where Internet edge-based innovation should *stop* or slow.   In
particular, they are slow to deploy support for anything new at the
edges, for a very good reason: it might disrupt their profitability.   A
solipsistic or narcissistic view by the carriers that they know best
what is good for the IP users has settled in.   It's kind of like the
White Man's Burden - all those poor people in undeveloped user land need
help figuring out what they want, so carriers should impose enlightened
governors on them in the form of AUPs, NAT boxes, etc.   And of course
we won't mention that by keeping the colonials under our enlightened
governance, they won't disrupt carrier business plans to maintain
dominance by, for example, incorporating new technologies and services
into their communications pallette.

Beyond being slow, they have a chorus of pundits who help redefine the
network service in terms of *speed* rather than interoperation and
adaptability to innovation.   It's Joel Moses' comment to me all over
again: just wait till the providers give us *fast enough* connections.
That's all we want, right?   To get to servers faster?   How do we know
that is all we want?

I want mobility in the truest sense.   Not mobile phone calls.   I move
through the world, and I'm the same person whereever I am - and I'm sick
and tired of having the 10 radios I carry on my person have to pretend
they are 300 baud acoustic coupled modems that take a minute to "log in"
on whatever network I might be able to find.   I hate that those radios
touch other radios within meters, within kilometers, etc. but they
cannot talk - merely because there is no common "network of networks"
among them.

There is *no* carrier who will do this whole job - at best they can
help.   Yet, like Licklider, I see that there is a job to do.   And I
also see that there is a possibility to do the job *despite* this
unwillingness, and without the carriers - even fighting the modern
equivalent of the Bellheads who claimed that connecting modems to phone
lines might crash the network (with erudite arguments about erlangs in
phone crossbars) - those being the routerheads who argue (eruditely)
that bad packets must be blocked by deep packet inspection and AUPs,
lest the whole backbone crash.

I harbor no ill will towards carriers.   Some people hated Ma Bell, but
I recommended fellow students to go work for them at Bell Labs.   This
is not a call for tearing down the walls.  If carriers want to join this
effort, *wonderful*.  But I doubt they will.   And I know many carrier
executives who think it is their *duty* to view this as something to
fight against, just as I know many carrier executives who find it of
great interest.