[e2e] It's all my fault

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed May 16 18:18:06 PDT 2007

The "ivory tower academic card" is like the "race card" or the
"government is inefficient, private companies are always better card" or
any of the other obnoxious prejudices that stand in the way of actually
having to think about something that is subtle or different.

In any case, I'm an academic now, but I have been the chief architect
and responsible hands-on manager of about $10 billion worth of products
that were totally new to the market earlier in my career.  And in the
academic world I hacked a few things that are still alive today, along
with people who were still in school. I put on my trousers the same as
anyone else, however, and some of the best ideas I've ever encountered
have come from children asking "why" or "why not".

Posing as someone of consequence adds nothing to one's contributions to
the world.   Contribute, and fight for your good ideas.

I recommend listening to others rather than sneering at them because
they aren't as puissant as you imagine yourself to be.  Make your own
judgment *after* you understand their point, not based on feeling superior.