[e2e] end of interest

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri Apr 18 19:40:36 PDT 2008

Seems to me like the biggest barrier to deploying new L3/4 end-to-end
functionality isn't host stacks, but rather middleboxes that don't know
what to do with new IP packet types or protocol extensions.   If you can
define a new e2e feature in such a way that it traverses those, and
which doesn't need explicit support from the existing IP network, it's
still possible to deploy it.

Granted you won't see widespread use of the new feature unless the 900
pound gorilla ships it in product, but Linux is used widely enough that
it's possible to use it as a vehicle to prove that a feature is
valuable.  If you could come up with an enhancement that, say, improved
HTTP performance and you could get it in the Linux kernel (which is much
easier than convincing the gorilla to ship it), the gorilla would feel
the need to follow suit or improve on that enhancement -- to avoid
embarrassing itself further.

Though I do think there's a place for the 'almost' e2e middlebox,
particularly in implementing layered defense against security threats
and wasted bandwidth from unwanted traffic.

Keith