[e2e] end of interest

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Fri Apr 18 20:57:38 PDT 2008

I think the meme has forked. Into a three-legged trouser.

One trouser-leg is about 'purer' network architectures where e2e is a
feature, and requires no bumps in stacks, or cute tricks. In the moral
spirit of the other great contribution from the late 20th C.. KISS, if
you can have it, this is much nicer for the end/edge user. But the
clear signal from the profit-centres-formally-known-as-telco is that
you make less money in the apparent short term, by being nice. Many of
us believe that both the social goodput, and the
long-term profit would be better from structural-separation models
without a need for bumps. This implies regulation. Despite many
people's antithesis to regulation, some regulation appears useful,
especially if you want to have structural separation and avoidance of
e2e hindering bumps.

The other leg is about the bumps and tricks (which probably would have
made more sense as bumps and grinds..) you have to do, to work through
NAT and other nasty intercepts on a 'pure' e2e network. The lesson
from this side of the fork is that nothing is impossible, but the cost
in packet and delay terms rises. At the crossing point where the cost
exceeds some variable <n> which depends on context, people either more
to another supplier or give up.

(ie 'live' video over tunneled SSH over HTTP over ICMP is of course
always/sometimes possible, but gets un-rewarding. OTOH, if you were
willing to wait for a torrent to download anyway. then
almost nothing a network puts in your way will actually GET in your
way, if you are sufficiently persistent.)

The third trouserleg is where people observe that e2e birthed p2p, and
find reasons to want to use it. At the point where Skype exploits your
spare bandwidth as a virtual router cloud, torrents are used for
distro's and now embraced by the mainstream as a viable distribution
cloud and we're fighting in the FAA about 'network neutrality' at the
same time, I think that e2e remains as interesting as ever.

I think this list is about shaking the fluff out of the turn-ups, on
the three legged trouser.

A long time ago, on my fathers birthday, we got him a present 'for the
man who has everything' which was a belly-button lint brush. perhaps
thats also something useful for the e2e list?

-George