[e2e] end of interest

Mahesh Balakrishnan mahesh at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 18 22:16:44 PDT 2008

In a world where clean-slate designs are impractical, apparently. I do belong
to a generation of researchers who grew up on P2P and overlays --- and who
accept the presence of IP and TCP as religious imperatives that must be
engineered around. If industry realities confine us to particular
philosophies of system design we can stop arguing about their relative merits
and simply work with whatever is most practically deployable. Depending on
your point of view this is either an excellent thing or the end of pure
research as we know it. But I have to admit I don't understand how people can
talk of designing the next-generation Internet from scratch when the
economics of computer systems are so stacked against any kind of ground-up
innovation.

Also - if the router/ISP companies pushed us to the endpoints of the network
and now the software companies have pushed us up the software stack --- where
do we go next?

- mahesh