[e2e] end of interest

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 20 04:48:39 PDT 2008

In missive <6d2996bb0804200353p48c70166yf044678a7ab375f5 at mail.gmail.com>, "Saikat Guha" typed:

 >>On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Jon Crowcroft
 >><Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
 >>> cleanslate - i dont see that the virtualisation clean slate architectures violate any of Joe's
 >>>  internet rights at all - there's at least 3 virtualisation projects I can think of
 >>>  (washington st louis, princeton/gatech, and ucl/lancaster)...

 >>Fair enough. I was thinking more Triad/i3/DONA/defaultOff/... where
 >>strictly speaking, "DNS" and "IP" play a very different role than they
 >>do today. To the extent that the bill of Internet rights says: _users_
 >>should be able to reach any other user at reasonable speeds (at some
 >>layer), I agree, but that's very different from saying all public IP
 >>all the time.

totally agree - DONA (and schemes that start from no explicit sender or
no explicit recipient - i.e. pub/sub systems which predate dona by 15 years
which seem to be overlooked often in the data driven net arch post geni work:)

also

 >>>  iplayer does p2p delivery (and skype does p2p voip) is none of the ISPs
 >>>  business [...] forcing a content provider back to a data center (and more
 >>> expensive (and less green)) alternative, increases their costs

 >>Skype is a good example of p2p creating unnecessary traffic in the
 >>sense that I shouldn't have to relay through Brazil for a peer 10kms
 >>away with a common ISP. A p4p-like approach where all parties have a
 >>control knob allow these inefficiencies to be removed, and perhaps
 >>forestalls unnecessary posturing. But it does require the content
 >>provider to convince the ISP to get on board.

or else to tune their overlay of supereers by mapping the underlying topology -

actualyl it would be unlikely to relay interactive voice traffic
too far away coz of latency
so it might be between bandwidth and latency estimation,
overlay p2p superpeer node selection systems might do ok,
modulo policies...:-

what i'd like to see is an overlay ystem have an open API for programming
in application layer polociy routes - a decent system (e.g. based on metarouting
and xorp) might usefully be unified with the underlying BGP policies directly
and so provide 21st century interdomain traffic engineering:)

 cheers

   jon