[e2e] end of interest

Saikat Guha saikat at cs.cornell.edu
Sun Apr 20 03:53:28 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Jon Crowcroft
<Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> cleanslate - i dont see that the virtualisation clean slate architectures violate any of Joe's
>  internet rights at all - there's at least 3 virtualisation projects I can think of
>  (washington st louis, princeton/gatech, and ucl/lancaster)...

Fair enough. I was thinking more Triad/i3/DONA/defaultOff/... where
strictly speaking, "DNS" and "IP" play a very different role than they
do today. To the extent that the bill of Internet rights says: _users_
should be able to reach any other user at reasonable speeds (at some
layer), I agree, but that's very different from saying all public IP
all the time.

>  iplayer does p2p delivery (and skype does p2p voip) is none of the ISPs
>  business [...] forcing a content provider back to a data center (and more
> expensive (and less green)) alternative, increases their costs

Skype is a good example of p2p creating unnecessary traffic in the
sense that I shouldn't have to relay through Brazil for a peer 10kms
away with a common ISP. A p4p-like approach where all parties have a
control knob allow these inefficiencies to be removed, and perhaps
forestalls unnecessary posturing. But it does require the content
provider to convince the ISP to get on board.

--
Saikat