[e2e] end of interest

Mahesh Balakrishnan mahesh at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Apr 21 07:34:57 PDT 2008

Is there confusion, perhaps, between e2e as a philosophy and e2e as a
necessity? I agree with Christian that a lot of the exciting new stuff
happening is end-to-end. However: bit-torrent is e2e not because there are
clean fundamental reasons for it to be so (though those may exist), but
because that's the only deployment model open to the designer. I am not
arguing that it shouldn't be e2e, just that nobody really had a choice to
make it anything other than e2e.

Now the follow-up question is --- as John Day pointed out, deployment
difficulties have always been a fact of life, with the router/ISP companies
being the primary reason back in the day. For me that raises the question:
was e2e ever a clean philosophy, or was it simply the only practical
deployment model open to designers twenty years back, as well? How many
systems have been deployed end-to-end when people actually had a choice to do
it some other way?

And - do people have a tendency to use e2e the philosophy to incorrectly
justify system designs that were e2e by necessity? (of course, sometimes the
only deployment model turns out to be the correct one).

(on the road currently, apologies in advance for late responses)

- mahesh