[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Dec 1 10:23:07 PST 2008

some points about the non-generality of your definition, which is tied
to a very specific systems architecture.  The need for such a "tie" has
always been my main point.

I guess wireless communications systems are not part of your model.
Many such systems don't have a "communications graph".  (if you stand on
your head you can try to construct one if it is needed for some
discussion that cannot take place without one in hand, but Maxwell's
equations don't construct such a graph).

I don't know what an object name is:  content addressable memories hold
information, but don't necessarily have "object names", nor is an
"object name" the primary retrieval means.

Why "reliably translated"?   Xerox PUP used addresses that could be
mistranslated (48 bit UIDs), but the PUP protocol system worked
reliably, having been constructed in a manner that followed von
Neumann's constructive proof that you could build reliable systems out
of unreliable parts.

Just as there is no need for "reliability" at the base of the network,
there is no need for "location" at the base.