[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Dec 1 16:22:41 PST 2008

Two thoughts:

    Any layering builds from something ... so it's interesting what you
posit as the base case from which the mathematical induction follows.

    There is an alternative to layering: constructing a system that
recurses or contains a looped-back-upon-itself dependency, in which
case, the resulting behavior can be characterized by the
least-fixed-point (LFP, result of the Y combinator, or some other
formulation) of the functional recursion.

I realize these are abstract mathematical concepts, not always taught to
the kids these days.  HTML and Python are thought to be verging on too
difficult.

Regarding the IRTF DTN stuff: is the system layered or based on a least
fixed point?