[e2e] a means to an end

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 00:24:03 PST 2008

as well as DTN folks combatting layering and assumptions
(which we took on board in haggle, for example, and adopted - viz
www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~ph315/publications/haggle-ubicomp2007.pdf
(as have others)
and
van et al combatting point-to-pointless networking, there are quite a
few other people reaching out along these directions - i blogged some
of the pieces as part of a course in comms i teach to undergrads in
cambridge

notably psirp...

http://clogspotclog.blogspot.com/2008/12/dcii-11208.html

i think the conversation recently has confused (or conflated) several
different pieces of architecture
1. protocol system composition
2. data driven networking paradigms
3. information coding and representation

I certainly would be kean in the very long term to conflate these,
especially in multi"hop" wireless nets where the efficiency gains are
big, but I am not so sure about mixing them up on the next stage of
the internet, principally because of ownership and privacy.
(yes, i realize that there are extreme ways one can provie even more
privacy as well as censorship proof networking by doing clever
co-coding of oobjects during transmission and caching (or however you
want to view it in a DONA world...) - i just dont think certain
agencies will let us build the whole net that way

btw, there's a cool description of such a net in Neal Stepheson's
Diamond Age
(as well as an aweseome envisaging of Kay's
"A personal computer for children of all ages"
http://www.mprove.de/diplom/gui/Kay72a.pdf
which we could well read - it probably invalidates most of the mobile
handset industry's patents:)

In missive <4835AFD53A246A40A3B8DA85D658C4BE7B0D7D at EVS-EC1-NODE4.surrey.ac.uk>,
 L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk typed:

 cheers

   jon