[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 3 15:59:11 PST 2008

Ian McDonald wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 12:05 PM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>>> I think, Lloyd Wood made the point precisely:
>>>
>>> "Academics are rewarded by writing papers. They are not rewarded by
>>> staying current with the current codebase of the linux kernel/ns."
>> Nor are they rewarded for paying the penalty of the goofiness of the
>> Linux community in deploying experimental protocols as default. This has
>> come up at a number of IETF meetings, in particular, regarding CUBIC
>> which is currently the default in Linux despite being an Internet Draft
>> intended as experimental in the IETF.
>>
>> Academics like stability, and they like things that follow standards.
>>
>> Joe
>
> <rant>
> I think academics do themselves a dis-service when they hide behind
> their simulators and don't go out and try and use software.

Not all "non-Linux" research is done in simulators.

BSD, e.g., *is* software. FreeBSD supported multilevel IP tunnels years
before Linux, which is why I used it for overlay research for the past
decade. And BSD is in Apple OS/X.

> If you want to make a difference here, get involved.

I have - in FreeBSD, FWIW. We've contributed a number of patches to
enable multilayer tunneling and support IPsec interactions with tunnels
to KAME and BSD.

Joe