[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 17:53:24 PST 2008

Didn't we have this same conversation last January?

How is e.g. Microsoft any different with compound TCP being only an
internet-draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-sridharan-tcpm-ctcp-01.txt
yet deployed widely in Vista?

Doing the whole FreeBSD-sneering-at-Linux thing is, well, old. There
are many academics using Linux, not least because it's not picky about
what it runs on. You're ignoring the goofy elephant in the room.

Linux deploying experimental protocols means it's less work for
academics to tweak newly-designed protocols and propose and test
variants, ergo academics like it.

Stability doesn't come into it, if academic code is anything to go by.
An academic views code as stable if it hasn't crashed on him recently,
or if it gives usable results before (or even while) crashing. It's all about
the results. Academics like results, and they like things that get them
results easily.

And where's the research value and funding in working on an
already existing standard?

L.

Detlef Bosau wrote:
> Lynne Jolitz wrote:
>> Many people on the academic side still use forms of BSD, and perhaps
>> prefer the old way of doing things. I use BSD myself. However, Linux
>> is clearly the market leader and cooperating with how they handle
>> their development model is a key consideration for promulgating new
>> work in networking and operating systems.
>
> That´s simply not the point.
>
> I think, Lloyd Wood made the point precisely:
>
> "Academics are rewarded by writing papers. They are not rewarded by
> staying current with the current codebase of the linux kernel/ns."

Nor are they rewarded for paying the penalty of the goofiness of the
Linux community in deploying experimental protocols as default. This has
come up at a number of IETF meetings, in particular, regarding CUBIC
which is currently the default in Linux despite being an Internet Draft
intended as experimental in the IETF.

Academics like stability, and they like things that follow standards.

Joe