[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 3 21:36:26 PST 2008

David P. Reed wrote:
> This list, is, after all, associated with the IRTF, not the IETF.  I
> must admit that I may be seen as biased, since I tend to run the "git"
> version of the Linux mainstream kernel, so I live at the bleeding edge,
> and I have contributed small fixes to the kernel development process
> (one being queued for 2.6.25 as we speak).
>
> It seems extremely healthy for Linux (as the only game in town for truly
> planet-scale open research collaboration at the OS level) to be allowing
> its users to participate in shaking out issues in the evolving Internet.

It's great that Linux has variants of TCP that users can enable. It's
irresponsible and/or sloppy to enable those experiments by default.

> If only Microsoft would allow experimenters planet-wide to experiment
> with its full OS source code so that students can learn... naah.

I'm not sure I'd want my students have that kind of a setback; going
back a decade or so in capability isn't an enabling experience.

Joe