[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jan 4 05:26:38 PST 2008

To Ian's point: there are two highly separated layers of decision making
in Linux.  To wit: 1)the kernel developers (in which I include the net
developers, though the groups are somewhat distinct), and 2) the distro
makers.   The distro makers are free to enable or disable many of the
options in the kernel they choose to ship - including TCP experiments as
part of a broad "permanent beta program" that certain distros aspire to
be.  Different distros may or may not do this.

I happen to have settled on Fedora as my "base distro".   I like it's
risk-taking, relatively bleeding-edge approach of including the
community in testing out new things (it's been called the "beta" for
RedHat).   But you can also use RedHat Enterprise Linux (or the free
version of that or Suse if you want conservative, carefully thought
through non-experimental distributions.

The place to argue about what is distributed to the broad user groups
who don't want to be part of the experimental linux community is with
the distro builders in one or more of the distros that focus on "the
general public".    Ubuntu perhaps should have a different philosophy
about releasing experimental TCP features in its kernels than does Fedora.