[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 4 07:53:27 PST 2008

Ian McDonald wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 6:36 PM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>> It's great that Linux has variants of TCP that users can enable. It's
>> irresponsible and/or sloppy to enable those experiments by default.
>>
> If that is your opinion then go argue your case on
> netdev at vger.kernel.org.

There are others in the IETF preparing lists of such misuse of
experimental protocols and who have indicate they are already doing so,
FWIW.

> I don't necessarily disagree but this is the
> area to debate it, not on this list (if you want change that is).

It was raised on this list for other reasons, not to effect change.

> I'm
> not aware of many Linux developers listening to this list. People
> there DO listen to good points so it is worth discussing there.

FWIW, if they DO listen to good points, why isn't the mere fact that
these protocols are Experimental not a sufficient point? If they're
going to play with fire, they ought to seek out their own fire training
IMO, not expect others to keep bailing them out when the get burned.

Joe