[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Injong Rhee rhee at ncsu.edu
Sat Jan 5 16:36:16 PST 2008

There have been a lot of discussions even in this mailing list on why
tcp-newreno fails in certain cases -- i don't want to go through that
discussion again.

I agree that the process could have been more diplomatic and it could
have been improved. However, what's done is done. Wide-scale tests in
some sense have been done for three to four years, as you said,
unknowingly. If you don't trust that as a test, I am puzzled on what
kind of wide-scale tests (with volunteers) we can do without causing
disruption on the production networks.

Could you suggest the kind of wide-scale tests we can do with proper
measurement and real users involved in real Internet and without
causing disruption? It seems almost unrealistic. Besides, were the
same types of tests performed before their release of IETF TCPs? was
it less disruptive then than now to introduce new algorithms without
proper wide-scale tests?

Injong