[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sat Jan 5 21:21:33 PST 2008

Injong Rhee wrote:

>> I have also seen the cited reports of problems with CUBIC/BIC.
>>>

> Sure. But I want folks to look at the tests and the reports carefully or
> even try them by themselves. I am sure you will know it works! But i see
> the attitude of people who are mad just because its default release in
> Linux rather than trying to understand it technically first.

People like me are mad because they ended up part of your experiment
before we had a chance to review your results, understand it
technically, and decide in the contents of an IETF standards track
discussion whether it was useful.

That's the point of the IETF standards track.

> I am working on a congestion control public testbed where people can try
> for themselves without investing too much time if they do care and we
> are also working with a number of people (e.g., TMRG) to agree on
> benchmark test suites.

Why announce it? Why not just silently deploy it in Linux, omit the
measurements because they'd be disruptive, and then declare it all works
in a few years?

Seriously, I'm not against new protocols in general. I'm just not in
favor of silent deployment of new protocols to the unaware.

Joe