[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at nokia.com
Sun Jan 6 05:43:30 PST 2008

Hi, Debo,

On 2008-1-6, at 11:41, ext Debo Dutta (dedutta) wrote:
> I had some simple questions regarding the process from papers -->
> IETF:
> What are some of the metrics that could be used during discussions to
> decide whether a protocol crosses the bar? Does someone need to
> validate
> the protocol in very large networks with realistic background traffic
> patterns? Are there some standard topologies and background traffic
> patterns under which the protocol needs to perform well? If so, this
> would be very useful as reference scenarios for everyone.

Sally and the IRTF's TMRG have been active on this front. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5033
  for "Specifying New Congestion Control Algorithms" and especially http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-11
  for "Metrics for the Evaluation of Congestion Control Mechanisms".

There's a related effort underway to define a suite of standardized
test scenarios for the initial evaluation of new congestion control
methods; a preliminary writeup is at http://people.nokia.net/~lars/papers/2008-pfldnet.pdf
. Some of the people involved in this effort are planning to make an
"implementation| of the test suite available for ns2.

Lars