[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jul 1 06:26:25 PDT 2008

Michael Scharf wrote:

> BTW: I wonder how all those TCP simulators out there address this
> problem.

Trivial arrival models:  e.g. the wondrous Poisson model, with all its
huge flaws of assuming that the sender will keep banging away despite
getting no app-layer results.

This is awful: most predictions of "congestion collapse" (though not
all) were created by mindlessly presuming Poisson arrival.  No human
that I know of *ever* generates a Poisson distribution.   We use them on
student problem sets because they are analytically easy, not because
they are realistic in any way.   Then a whole generation of theory
students grow up thinking that network traffic is best thought of as
Poisson.  And they dominate the conversation, blasting out any more
thoughtful approaches by generating minimum publishable units and
reviewing each others' papers as if they were problem sets to be graded.