[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Jul 1 08:22:35 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 6:26 AM, David P. Reed wrote:
> This is awful: most predictions of "congestion collapse" (though not
> all) were created by mindlessly presuming Poisson arrival.  No human
> that I know of *ever* generates a Poisson distribution.

No argument with you on the idiocy of using the poisson model to model
traffic; applications are not white noise generators. but...

We have not just predicted congestive collapse, we have experienced
it. Those events, the most well-known one being the collapse of the 56
KBPS NSFNet in 1987-1988 and the more recent instances being local
phenomena with under-provisioned networks, don't result from silly
assumptions. They originate from traffic from real applications with
real humans behind them on real networks.