[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue Jul 1 11:26:45 PDT 2008

Lachlan Andrew wrote:

> That raises the question: should we model access links or edge links,
> or have separate models of each?

We should read the chapter "introduction" which can be found in an
arbitratry textbook on stochastic processes :-)

Tyically, there are two statements.

1.: Markov processes and Poisson processes are nice, because they are
easy do deal with.
2.: Nature and reality are naughty, because both are neither markovian
nor poissonian.

However, that's not only a problem for networkers :-)

BTW: That's one of the reasons for my strong doubts against PF scheduling.
It is the "canonical set of assumptions:"

CSOA: "Anything is i.i.d, markovian, possonian, gaussian distributed and
stationary. Proof: We cannot deal with anything else."

 From that, we have the main goal of CSOA: If reality is not compliant
to theory, drop reality, start a redesign :-)

(BTW: This is a well proven principle. The German government resolves
our unemployment problem that way - for decades now.)

SCNR

Detlef

Detlef Bosau                          Mail:  detlef.bosau at web.de
Galileistrasse 30                     Web:   http://www.detlef-bosau.de
70565 Stuttgart                       Skype: detlef.bosau
Mobile: +49 172 681 9937