[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Jul 2 05:36:25 PDT 2008

David P. Reed wrote:
> Detlef Bosau wrote:
>>
>> So, is this more one of the exercises for a TOEFFL? (Example
>> question: What's the meaning of "Mrs. Jones is out of coffee.") Or do
>> we have a congestion problem at the coffee machine? And how should we
>> implement a "packet drop" then?
>>
> Forgive my cultural insensitivity, Detlef.  I don't know how or if the
> Superbowl in the US translates to an analogous experience in, say, Gernany

;-)
> .  Or what a culture that might drink coffee in small highly
> concentrated cups made only one at a time via steam might do that is
> analogously synchronized.

I don't know. I use to drink tea, so perhaps a person more experienced
with coffee can help us out here.

(There is some rumour, that there have been central coffee machines in
some academic institutes in Stuttgart, but I don't know for sure....)

> It would be presumptuous of me to assume that the World Cup of Soccer
> (Football) has inspired television centered parties where women don't
> watch but just serve unending streams of ice-cold beer in cans to
> "their men" sitting on couches, who then converge on the single
> bathroom in the apartment for rapid elimination.

At least, our chancelor, Dr. Merkel, does not serve those streams.
Angela Merkel typically attends the game in the stadium, and when there
happens something interesting, she jumps up and claps here hands and all
TV stations send the picture of rejoicing Angela and she is frequently
recommended as the ideal coach for our national soccer team then.

To my knowledge, this is called "emancipation".

> (My naive American centered view is that Europeans don't sit around in
> parties in the same way - many seem to hang out in bars, where TV
> commercial breaks are far less bottlenecked at the toilet).

For some years now, we have something called "public viewing", where
some thousands of people (outside the stadium, bars and appartments)
share a common screen.

And a common toilet.

Perhaps, that's what inspired to think about congestion control using
"fluid flow models".

But I'm afraid, we're getting off topic here ;-)

(Didn't Michael talk about _flow_ control? ;-))

Detlef Bosau                          Mail:  detlef.bosau at web.de
Galileistrasse 30                     Web:   http://www.detlef-bosau.de
70565 Stuttgart                       Skype: detlef.bosau
Mobile: +49 172 681 9937