[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Tue Jul 1 11:19:28 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Michael Scharf <michael.scharf at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

  On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 at 09:22:06, Ted Faber wrote:
  > But for all the folks who think there's some engineering reason to
  > substitute ECN for receiver window: using ECN this way is foolish.

  Agreed, ECN is no reasonable solution for flow control.

  But what would be the role of rwnd if we indeed had one of these
  router-assisted congestion control schemes that aim at providing more
  precise feedback than ECN? Or e. g. re-ECN?

  Michael

you know what would happen? that also the routers would use the flow control algorithm, exactly like the receiver already does!

saverio