[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Tue Jul 1 17:14:26 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 08:19:28PM +0200, Saverio Mascolo wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Michael Scharf <michael.scharf at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>   But what would be the role of rwnd if we indeed had one of these
>   router-assisted congestion control schemes that aim at providing more
>   precise feedback than ECN? Or e. g. re-ECN?
>
> you know what would happen? that also the routers would use the flow
> control algorithm, exactly like the receiver already does!

Not unless the routers had per-flow buffer allocations.

This is a key difference between flow and congestion control.  Routers
are multiplexing resources across an unknown set of clients; endpoints
are allocating to one.

They're different problems.

--
Ted Faber