[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, s/Vol 53, Issue 10 / sacred cows, sacre bleu/

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Jul 11 07:33:14 PDT 2008

Jon,

You asked why the Internet had source addresses. I provided an answer,
based on my understanding of the historical context for the decision. I
apologize for being too terse for that to be clear, or for being too
glib to belie a thoughful consideration of the contents of your paper.

That, however, does not mean that I did not read your paper.

My response of your (IMO, historical) question has nothing to do with
your proposal for removing them, as is discussed below.

Jon Crowcroft wrote:
 > a perfect example of people responding to email that they haven't
 > actually read properly

I urge posters to read the mail they *write* as well as those others
post. ;-)  Please read my more detailed note below before concluding how
properly I've read your work.

Joe

--

You assert that:

> Remember this (RFC 791)? Let’s think about the line marked
> by Xs. So why is there a source address there? The naive answer
> is that some receivers might want to reply.

That is a historically consistent answer.

> It’s a Datagram,
> Stupid. Not all higher layers want to send something back! The
> end-to-end argument says that we do not put a function in a lower
> layer, unless it is required by the majority of upper layer users

E2E argument allows designers to "put things in a layer that THAT layer
actually needs".

Later, your doc says that:

> a better place to send advisory
> information in the future Internet is onwards to the receiver, not
> backwards to the sender. Obviously the unreachable cases need
> to be considered more carefully, although if an end system is not
> reachable, a SNA-RK might be still reachable.

Host and net unreachables can't be fixed at all, as you note later.
Other messages require the receiver know the source, which - if this is
one of those higher layers that doesn't want to send something back -
won't happen either.

The fact that further discussion asserts that error notifications were
always a bad idea I find naive as well. And MTU discovery will NEVER
happen if the receiver has no notion of who the sender is.

---