[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Fri Jul 11 15:20:30 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 02:59:13PM -0700, Lachlan Andrew wrote:
> Greetings Ted,
>
> 2008/7/11 Ted Faber <faber at isi.edu>:
> >
> > True Poisson processes are rare; the only one I can think of off the top
> > of my head is radioactive decay.
>
> Just to be picky, that isn't Poisson either, although it is well
> approximated as Poisson on "short" time-scales (relative to the
> half-life).

No observations on my students' Normality? :-)

You're correct, of course.  I do believe that the radioactive decay of a
pound of U-238 over a month is a Poisson process, but on timescales
close to the half-life it is not.  Smaller samples or isotopes with
shorter half-lives would not be.  That's what I get for
underspecification. :-)

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc